Stunning Critical Essay: Surprise Your Readers!
It should be admitted that the word “critical” has two meanings, both positive and negative. Thus, your critical essay may show either your positive or negative attitude to the examined issue. In order to produce a good and objective paper, you need to assess the matter under consideration. Only weighing up the pros and cons of the addressed issue, you will be able to make its detailed analysis.
Your critical essay should start with a detailed subject investigation. No matter the piece you are exploring, i.e. article, book, etc., your analysis should consist of the following components:
A Summary Presenting the Author’s Viewpoint About the Issue
- Succinctly present the author’s chief point (thesis statement);
- Give concrete facts that have been imparted by the author to uphold the key idea;
- Summarize the writer’s ideas;
- Present the conclusion and recommendations made by the author.
An Assessment of Writer's Publication
Its functions are to:
- Evaluate the arguments provided by the author. You need to find out whether the stated facts are relevant to the topic. Check whether no useful data is missing;
- Find out whether the arguments are presented logically;
- Analyze the way the author describes the issue. Does it provoke strong emotions?
After that, you may begin producing the first draft of your critical review. First, you need to highlight the contradictory points, if there are any. These points should be discussed in the body of your paper.
Try to define whether there are other points of view about the discussed matter. If you have identified several positions on the issue, describe them concisely. Then, you need to express your personal opinion about the examined subject. Do not forget to clearly explain why you take such a position. Here, you should present irrefutable facts to support your statements. Afterwards, you need to briefly describe the points you have arrived at when assessing other works of the same author. This is where the concluding sections starts.
When writing an introduction, you need to explain readers why the issue you are analyzing is worth their attention. Outline the points you are going to address in your essay. When producing your first draft, you should not be afraid of making mistakes, i.e. grammar, spelling, etc. Moreover, do not panic if you are not sure whether the chosen term is suitable for describing a particular aspect of the matter. You will heck all the points of your essay when revising it. At this point, your aim is to present your thoughts in written form.
When creating your paper, keep in mind the following points:
- A critical essay is of informative character. It should illustrate the way a specific work has been examined. The made claims have to be supported with compelling arguments.
- A critical essay is focused on the facts about the explored publication and not the feelings it arouses. If you want to prove a particular point, you need to present powerful evidence. You can refer not only to the original text, but also to the secondary sources containing relevant information about the subject.
- Criticizing does not mean giving negative feedback on the discussed publication. You just need to critically evaluate the piece.
- Your critical essay should help readers learn new facts about the addressed matter.
- A paper of such type has to be written objectively. Depending on the readers who deal with your essay, you may tell some jokes (however, it is the exception rather than the rule).
- Entirely concentrate on the idea you are going to develop. Try to avoid examining too broad topics. You should understand that there is no need to discuss several aspects of the issue at once.
- Make sure you provide information logically. Each paragraph of the essay body should develop the key idea you have presented in the introduction. Moreover, there should be smooth transitions between all the paragraphs of your essay. The sentences should be constructed logically.
- Do not forget that you have to be detached when analyzing the issue. Thus, you will be able to create a reasonable paper.
- Check whether your essay does not contain any mistakes.
You may also be interested in:
Process Essay Definition Essay Cause and Effect Essay